[arch-devops] an Arch Linux status page

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 12 17:48:08 UTC 2020

Em abril 10, 2020 12:14 Christian Rebischke via arch-devops escreveu:
> I had a discussion with grazzolini around a status Arch Linux website.
> You may know, that this is on my wish list for several months now.
> But first let me reiterate the problem I want to solve with this:
>
> 1. this is not a replacement for your existing monitoring.
>
> 2. It should be available on status.archlinux.org for serving as simple
> status website, that people can inform theirself if a maintenance is
> running or if the AUR is down or whatever.
>
> 3. bonus points if we can access an API and use it as another monitoring
> channel (if our main monitoring goes down, we will at least get
> notified).
>
> 4. The status website should be HA, so even if the whole arch
> infrastructure explodes, people can still access this website and inform
> theirself through a safe channel.
>
> ---------------
>
> So I've looked around a bit and tested different providers.
> After digging through the web I landed on https://uptimerobot.org.
>
> I think uptimerobot is a nice option for us, because of several reasons:
>
> 1. they have a free plan.
>
> 2. they support multiple scans like HTTP(S), Keyword, Ping, Port
>
> 3. They provide a free status website (this is important, because
> status.io or statuspage.io don't do this).
>
> 4. They are HA (they are behind cloudflare)
>
> -------------------
>
> Some bad facts about uptimerobot:
>
> 1. Maintenance mode is only supported in pro-mode (7$ per month), but we
> could hack around this via setting a different title on the page (but
> then the Arch Linux logo will disappear).
>
> 2. Heartbeat tests are only supported in pro-mode
>
> 3. They allow only one login, so we would need to setup a generic login
> (bonus point: they support 2FA at least).
>

> If you want to see how such a status website would look like, have a
> look here:
>
> https://stats.uptimerobot.com/vmM5ruWEAB (with Arch Linux Logo)
>
> This is one with just a text title:
>
> https://status.shibumi.dev/

Guys, I think we've discussed this in the past, but nothing was decided. I think
we can go with something like this for now. Any status monitoring tool should be
hosted outside your own infrastructure. We can decide later if we want to pay for
the full version (it has maintenance options).

If nobody objects in one week, I'll point a CNAME to the status page Christian has
created and put the username/password/2FA on the vault.

We can decide later on where to put a link to this, I believe archweb is the most
obvious place.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini