[arch-devops] Diskspace getting low on orion or let's get a bigger archive server

Phillip Smith fukawi2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 09:11:35 UTC 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, 14:06 Sébastien Luttringer, <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:

> Please relax, I've a RAID5 of 6x8TB since years.
>
> Have you had to replace a disk and do a rebuild?
https://www.digistor.com.au/the-latest/Whether-RAID-5-is-still-safe-in-2019/
TL;DR:* ...the rebuilding successful rate is very low even for 4 bay SATA 5
array with 1TB disks. It’s nearly impossible to guarantee a successful
rebuilding with this type of disk because of its too high URE. Another
alarming fact about URE is: it has no correlation to the drive’s age.*

It's obviously worse with consumer drives compared to enterprise drives -
I'm not sure what Hetzner provision though.

(Sorry for the slow reply - been AFK.)