[arch-devops] Diskspace getting low on orion or let's get a bigger archive server

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Sun Jun 7 11:21:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-06-07 at 19:11 +1000, Phillip Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, 14:06 Sébastien Luttringer, <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> >
> > Please relax, I've a RAID5 of 6x8TB since years.
> >
> Have you had to replace a disk and do a rebuild?
Yes, unfortunately it's happen. Most of time it's only bad sectors one drive at
a time.IIRC the rebuild time was around 20h, depending on the pressure on the
RAID.I've a timer with a full mdadm check every month, which scan the whole
array.
The most soliciting situation is when I upgrade the disks; I have to run 6
rebuild in a row before reshaping.
> It's obviously worse with consumer drives compared to enterprise drives - I'm
> not sure what Hetzner provision though.
Choosing your disk set and a controller chipset are key decisions for sure and
depends a lot of what you want to do with your array, but there is a lot of
marketing in the last years around differences between disks which is sometimes
only minor firmware tweaking or locking (like scterc, which is useful for RAID
arrays) .
On the softraid vs btrfs raid question, my feedback is better with md.I had
several issues with btrfs raid over years[1].Note that btrfs raid56 is not
recommended for metadata and there is still a write hole issue[2].That said,
I've a 6x6TB btrfs RAID5 running well since 1 years and the last disk
replacement was smooth.
Regards,
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/?q=seblu[2]
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56