[arch-devops] Decommissioning dragon and upgrading to new box

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 00:40:19 UTC 2021

On 14.01.21 20:40, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> A new sponsorship term for dragon (our build server for those who
> weirdly enough don't know) was coming up and as the box was getting
> pretty slow for 2021 I felt perhaps we should also try for an upgrade.
>
> Anyway so Hetzner kindly agreed to give us a sponsorship deal for a
> bigger box which is roughly twice as fast as dragon. It'll be called
> "mir" and will be made available in the next few days.
>
> dragon is scheduled to be decommissioned on the 19th of January. Since
> nobody is supposed to be storing any data on dragon, we won't be
> performing a home directory transfer. Still, if there's any data you
> care about on dragon, please back it up until the 19th.
>
> Have fun with the new box!
>
> Cheers,
> Sven

Since the new box doesn't appear to be ready in time for a direct
replacement, I've cancelled the cancellation so that we don't break any
workflows that depend on a fast build box being available.

Also, since apparently some people appear to be storing some specific
config on dragon, we'll transfer home dirs once the new box becomes
available but we'll perform a cleanup beforehand (such as cleaning .cache).

Cheers,
Sven