[arch-events] FrOSCon - Who brings what?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Aug 17 05:44:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:23:37 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
> > good idea to make this
> >
> > - out of curiousity: network equipment not provided by froscon?
>
> We need to bring switches and cables ourselves. We'll probably not get
> as many ethnernet ports as we need. They explicitly wrote it in another
> mail, but it's stuck in the arch-events queue because of the big
> attachment, Aaron will have to allow it explicitly when he goes through
> the moderation queue.

> > - presentation machines.  seems like we already have 2.  I could bring my samsung syncmaster 2032 BW for Gerbra's pc. (it has an dvi and a vga port)
> >   Jens could then use his 2 screens on his own pc to show off kde 4.3 or whatever.  then we could use gerbra's machine to demonstrate installations.
> >   is that okay for you jens?
>
> 3 monitors seems like much, but I am in if you think it's a good idea.
> Last year, gerbra ran a full installation video over and over, and Jens'
> machine was used for showing off and abusing Arch a lot. I am thinking
> maybe we need only one machine, no idea.

okay let's figure out what are goals are, how we can achieve them best, and then which hardware we need.

goals:
- demonstrate installation process.
- demonstrate pacman / general Arch concepts such as rc.conf
- (show off a DE/WM. many options here: kde3, but also lxde/openbox etc can be interesting and are more KISS. showing a dualscreen setup may be cool as well, but needed? do we even have enough room?)

means:
- @ installation procedure: it's indeed usefull to have a video here, so we don't have to do it manually everytime a user wants to see it.  Gerhard, how did you do the video last year? can you do it again or tell me how to do it?
- @ installation procedure: it's also possible to do completely automated installations, but probably not many people are interested in that (you also see no ncurses interfaces and such). maybe we can also make a video and show both videos?
- @ DE/wm show off: we need a pc with a tried and working setup, especially if we use dualscreen. and we must be sure users cannot fuck things up.  Jens your pc is good for this?

> > - Hacking dog: Andy . wut?
>
> http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/froscon/2008/2008-08-23_18-01-20.jpg

ooh it even has a blue collar :)