[arch-events] FrOSCon - Who brings what?

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Mon Aug 17 06:08:35 EDT 2009

Am Montag, den 17.08.2009, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
> >
> > means:
> > - @ installation procedure: it's indeed usefull to have a video here, so we don't have to do it manually everytime a user wants to see it.  Gerhard, how did you do the video last year? can you do it again or tell me how to do it?

> It looked a bit weird, having a video about a curses installation
> running in endless loop. He recorded a virtualbox session with
> recordmydesktop or similar, details will be in his reply :)

Exactly, and my experience was that it was not very usefull at all. Ok,
we have had something "that moves", many people looked at it but it's
not very interessting to look 15-20 minutes how a install goes on -
without comments or other things.
IMHO we get better interest and questions when we from time to time do a
installation "live".

Such a presentation is IMHO good if we make it a real presentation - we
have a goal what to tell (Arch advantages, or why pacman/PKGBUILD/abs is
the best build system,...) and have good presentation pages - not only a
"video"...

This time we benefit most if we use both machines for live things.

> play around, reinstall if they break it :)
>
> We need clean hard drives for that, I have one 320GB and one 120GB which
> we could use if there are no others.

Exactly. I have only a 40GB IDE HD as such a HD, but this could be
enough as playground. If you, Thomas, maybe could bring one of your HDs
additionaly (with a complete repo snapshot?) we could use this 2nd HD
also to make a image from boot-HD to get a clean install back.

Gerhard