[arch-events] Archcon 2011

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Aug 26 12:10:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:56:19 +0300
Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 23:52, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>
> wrote:
> > About the froscon idea: I think it pulls away some attention from
> > Arch if there are too many other things to do, and it's less
> > "cousy" but you get a lot of advantages (logistics taken care of,
> > maybe some interested people stopping by).
>
> True. However at FrOSCon and FOSDEM there were dev rooms
> specifically for talks about one project (e.g. PHP room, KDE room),
> so with a dedicated Arch room for talks this can be just fine
> (and we get extra visitors from the main conference :-P).

Actually this has changed.  At fosdem, distro's used to have their own
rooms.  This year and in 2011 there's the "distro miniconf"
(for which they are accepting talk proposals btw :
http://fosdem.org/2011/distrominiconf )
I'm pretty sure they won't accept distro-specific devrooms (maybe
debian being an acception because they are huge, but definitely not
something small like Arch)

So we can't do an Archcon2011 at fosdem, and doing talks at fosdem
+ an archcon2011 in Europe seems like something we don't
 have the manpower for.

I got in touch with Froscon to ask what's
possible, and if so if they can give more info about logistics and
practical things.
Roman, do you think doing this with the froscon guys is a bad idea, or
is your experience with them not extrapolatable (:P) to a bigger
cooperation?

> > What makes an Archcon an archcon, and not "arch devs present at
> > conference $foo" is mostly Arch talks.  lots of Arch talks, but I
> > think that won't be an issue.  If every dev I'v met so far at
> > froscon/fosdem gives 1 presentation, you can easily fill 2 days :)
>
> Very true.

Okay,
* who wants to do a presentation?   Some ideas: thomas about
  mkinitcpio, pierre about dbscripts, ...?
* who wants to help out organising a conference in Europe/Germany?
  I'm personally willing to do some organisation like emailing people,
  updating a blog, putting together a schedule.  but not so much the
  practical stuff.

Dieter