[arch-general] Kernel Module Package Guidelines

Michael Towers gradgrind at online.de
Sat Dec 1 01:10:23 EST 2007

I recently posted a feature request for the aufs dependency on
aufs-utils to be removed (because the latter is not necessary for using
aufs). The bug was closed by the maintainer because "This is the
standard way of packaging modules in Arch:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Module_Package_Guidelines".

Of course he was right: "... make sure nvidia depends on nvidia-utils ..."

It's maybe a rather small point, but to me this requirement seems a bit
excessive. I would suggest rephrasing this to:

"... if nvidia-utils is required for the use of nvidia, make sure nvidia
depends on nvidia-utils ..."