[arch-general] Kernel Module Package Guidelines

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 01:22:47 EST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 12:10 AM, Michael Towers <gradgrind at online.de> wrote:
> I recently posted a feature request for the aufs dependency on
> aufs-utils to be removed (because the latter is not necessary for using
> aufs). The bug was closed by the maintainer because "This is the
> standard way of packaging modules in Arch:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Module_Package_Guidelines".
>
> Of course he was right: "... make sure nvidia depends on nvidia-utils ..."
>
> It's maybe a rather small point, but to me this requirement seems a bit
> excessive. I would suggest rephrasing this to:
>
> "... if nvidia-utils is required for the use of nvidia, make sure nvidia
> depends on nvidia-utils ..."

Arch has never been in the business of satisfying one user because "I
like it this way instead". In fact, that's what makes us unique. We do
things the way WE see fit, and give YOU the tools to change what you
don't like.

Feel free to recompile aufs via ABS (or even yaourt) if you'd like to
remove the dep

In fact, if you use srcpac, you can install it with a sed line in the
config, and srcpac -Syu will fix it every time.

Like I said - we provide the tools. I just gave you three options.
It's up to you to use one of them, or make a 4th option