[arch-general] running two monitors

Stewart Taylor stewarta.taylor at btopenworld.com
Sun Dec 9 11:17:18 EST 2007

Hi all

I've been using Arch for a while now but one thing I can't get work
the way I want is the two monitor setup. I don't use Xinerama but
instead have two monitors set up with separate desktops, virtual
desktops and icon sets. This suits the way I work much better than
Xinerama. I only turn on the second monitor when I need to use it and
here's the problem. If I turn it on after xorg has started then the
monitor ( under KDE ) defaults to 1360 x 768 instead of 1024 x 768
that I have it set to. I can change the display settings and all is
well until the next time. If I turn on the monitor before xorg starts
then all is as it should be. I've used the configuration under Gentoo,
Mandriva and Ubuntu with no problems. There appears to be something
different in the way Arch is configured but so far I've not been able
to find it. Has anyone got any ideas please?

TIA

Stewart