[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Karolina Lindqvist karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Sat Dec 15 03:43:02 EST 2007

lördag 15 december 2007 skrev Dan McGee:

> The arch= tag indicates that we, as the Arch Linux developers, have
> successfully built a certain package on the given architecture. Since
> we do not build for i586, we cannot make this claim and so do not add
> this architecture to the arch= line.

That is allright, but why abort "makepkg" on non-authorized architectures?
Better to give a warning that this build is unauthorized, unsupported, or
whatever, instead of aborting. To insert the i586 tag, to make the package
build, just defeats the purpose as you describe it. Sharing that package
might make others believe that it it is authorized by the archlinux
developers.

Karolina