[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

K. Piche kpiche at rogers.com
Wed Dec 19 22:36:44 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 12:54 -0500, Travis Willard wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007 11:48 AM, Karolina Lindqvist
> <karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se> wrote:
> > söndag 16 december 2007 skrev Mister Dobalina:
> >

> As far as the way Arch currently is, we started out with i686 and
> expanded to include x86_64 when it became a popular choice and we had
> willing volunteers for it.  We don't currently support i586
> "officially" and, as far as I know, have no plan to - partly because
> none of the devs have the need to run Arch on i586 hardware, I
> imagine, although I might be wrong.

I have a i586 file/print server.  I even have a mini i386 port but it's
not much fun to use.  :)  However I'm not interested in running an
official i586 port since the packages are stripped down for file
serving/printing - as in no X and no optional libraries.

Are you using kernel 2.6 for the VIA port?

K. Piche <kpiche at rogers.com>