[arch-general] texlive-bin depends on xorg-server, why?

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Sun Dec 23 06:15:25 EST 2007

On Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2007 02:18 Dan Soendergaard wrote:

> I discovered that texlive-bin depends on the xorg-server package which
> seems strange for a terminal programme. Why this dependency and how
> can it be removed (if possible without breaking LaTeX)?

I think the reason is why at example xdvi make no sense without X but on the
other side for you having X on the server make no sense. Comment: I have X on
my server too instead it runs 99,99% of the time on runvlevel 3.-)

There is a thread (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35991) on the
home page where the maintainer can recognize such wishes better. But give him
time to have a nice Chrismas with his family.-)

> I ask because I'm installing an Archlinux server and want the
> possibility of compiling my documents through SSH no matter what
> computer I'm on. Is it possible to circumvent the installation of
> xorg-server?

A short workaround could be possible if you take the PKGBUILD from abs and
make you own package with having only one line for building it:

pkgname=xorg-server
build() {
  /bin/true
}

But this is not tested by mine and if you be not in hurry ask on the thread
from above if it is possible.

See you, Attila