[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts changes

Olivier Bordes olivier at obordes.com
Mon Apr 7 13:06:40 EDT 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts changes
From: Alessio Bolognino <themolok.ml at gmail.com>
To: arch-general at archlinux.org
Date: lun 07 avr 2008 18:48:13 CEST
>> However, I know your opinion on these issues. Are there any rational
>> reasons not to hardcode devpts?
>>

> Thomas, if you are afraid that users could remove that line from fstab, why
> don't you just put a "# Warning, do not remove these lines unless you really
> know what you are doing" or something like that? I think this will reduce
> complexity of rc.sysinit (not very much, I have to admit :)

I also don't understand why the devpts should be hardcoded.

Do you want to protect user from his own errors ?
Then you should protect all files in /etc and other places, because
there are so many ways to corrupt a system.

On the opposite, if you move something to a place where logically it is
not supposed to be, then you will hide things and it could lead to new
problems for the future.

fstab is fine for me. And as  a basic rule I apply: if there is
something in that I don't know, then either I ask/search to cope with,
or I leave it unchanged.

Olivier