[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts changes

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Tue Apr 8 01:14:59 EDT 2008

Thomas Bächler wrote:

> The point is, everyone needs it mounted. Your system will be completely
> useless without devpts (as it is without the lo interface).
>
> However, I know your opinion on these issues. Are there any rational
> reasons not to hardcode devpts?

I'm 100% with Thomas for it (along with /dev/shm). I've always wondered
why Arch keeps those two in fstab (there're few other things that could
be changed, but that's for a different post).

If a user wants to change it, then the rc.sysinit is the place to do so
(whatever weired reason one would have for changing those mounts). If
one needs it for chroot environment for some program, then just mount
--bind manually - be it custom rc.d/something or anything else.

I'd also be for adding all rc* files to backup array - although as long
as there's noupgrade in pacman, I'm not gonna weep ;)

Well, my 2 cents here.