[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts changes

Olivier Médoc o_medoc at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 7 14:28:30 EDT 2008

Attila a écrit :
> On Montag, 7. April 2008 12:00 Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
>
>> I think that is a good reason why the mount commands should be in /etc/fstab
>> and not in some obscure init script.
>
> I suggest the same because the fstab is the best point to collect the
> necessary informations about what have to be mounted. At example this be some
> lines on my opensuse server:
>
> proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
> sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
> debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
> usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
> devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
>
> You see that some mountpoints have noauto which means that they get mounted
> from the initscripts. I find this a perfect mix of having the informations at
> one point for the users and giving the devs the possibilty to control it in
> the initscript if necessary.
>
> See you, Attila

Seems nice to me.

Then you can adds options to fstab, which is the purpose of fstab. I
like to do this for several filesystems who needs noauto (like usb
devices, fuse-ssh filesystems...)

Even for devpts, it is a good example. Say one day, I want to mount
devpts for a specific user (don't ask me why I just don't know), I know
were to change this options, and it will be taken into account after a
system upgrade (thanks to pacman).

Like it was suggested, it is also possible to put comments in fstab (or
rc.conf for the lo issue) that gives the user the information that
"these filesystem are mounted in rc.sysinit: devpts proc sysfs ...".
First goal is to help the user to find where to configure things. Second
goal is to help him learning about how his system works. Personally I
care to know how and I will google for things I don't know (like debugfs).

A "dumb user" won't care about default configuration and will ignore it.
A "very dumb user" (like me) will try to break his system, and will
learn something.

I'm not used to react to hot discussions, but it's true I was surprised
  when lo was removed from rc.conf, hoping that it was still and always
mounted.

Regards,
Olivier

P.S.
Anyway thanks Attila for the productive comment.