[arch-general] Closing bugreports too fast?

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Wed Apr 30 07:41:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:26:43PM +0300, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> On 4/30/08, Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer at web.de> wrote:
>
> I would never have thought that closing bug reports too fast would be a
> problem to someone. IMHO you are making this seem like an issue when it
> really isnt.

It's not - more - an issue for me, I've learned my lesson ;-) (That is,
was Xavier mentioned in his answer).
But i know 3 other tasks were the user must be pointed: Look directly to
#12345, the problem you ask about is already fixed (and closed).

It doesn't sound very logical to me that one must search in closed
reports to find a solution(or report) for a problem which is real actual
for him. Specially when after doing a pacman -Syu with no harm later his
KDE is broken. I don't speak from outdated mirrors or when users don't
read pacman outputs. I speak from situations were user make everything
right.
Maybe i have an other point of view on some things (i am more from the
service side, not developer side). I will provide enviroments where
users could easily find all necassary informations, so i could say: It's
the only problem that you doesn't read/noticed them.

For example i/we handle the kdelibs problem on archlinux.de: I noticed
that there would be a problem for everyone. So i make a "urgent" post in
forum and a notice on the start site. Most of our mirrors at this time
have had the old package, not the faulty. But i knewed that we could get
many users with problems when the infomation could not be found (and
what to to: skip the update and later either downgrade or get the fixed
package). That all was done cause i'm lazy, i don't want to have 20
users with a broken KDE shouting loudly in forum.
Today (after mirror syncing) i removed the warning from the main site
and after next 2 days i flag the forum warning about kdelibs as "fixed".

I don't request a general paradigm change on flyspray, only a little
thinking from developers that user problems arent't fixed when you do a
:wq or C-x C-s ;-)

> Just make a duplicate bug report. Noone will mock you for making
> it.Lets not overcomplicate things when there is no need.

That sounds more complicated (more work) to me rather than wait 1 or 2
days before closing a report ;-)

> Greg

Regards
	Gerhard

--
OOP? Frueher haben wir die Fehler selbst
programmiert, heute werden sie vererbt.