[arch-general] rotate pacman log?

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:41:14 EDT 2008

> While we're proposing ideas.... what about this:
> * new scriptlet function "message()", that just outputs text.
> * add a -Q operation to call the message() function.
>
> Then there's really no need for scriptlet logging at all.
The issue that I see with this is that often you can't keep up with
the messages during a -Syu. If the messages are not logged, how can I
tell which packages have messages? pacman -Q --message every package
that was upgraded? Perhaps if pacman.log had something like "The
following N packages had messages: foo bar baz [...]. Do pacman -Qm(?)
pkgname to see these messages."

I pretty much agree with all of Dan's position on this.

Even then I think the current behavior is fine. I think providing a
logrotate script might be fine, but rather than having it rotate by
time, is there a way that it can rotate by size? For example: when
sizeof(pacman.log) >= $N mb; rotate. And never delete the old ones.

In any case, if the behavior IS changed, there should definitely be a
post_upgrade message and a news item about it. Not everyone follows
the mailing lists, and they should still be alerted when previous
behavior is changed.