[arch-general] rotate pacman log?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Aug 7 17:55:39 EDT 2008

Daenyth Blank wrote:
> Even then I think the current behavior is fine. I think providing a
> logrotate script might be fine, but rather than having it rotate by
> time, is there a way that it can rotate by size? For example: when
> sizeof(pacman.log) >= $N mb; rotate.

You can rotate based on size.  The rotate script for slim does that.

> And never delete the old ones.

Well, it'd be pointless to rotate the logs if the old ones would never
get deleted.

Keep in mind, by the way, that users would always have the option of
*changing* their log rotate script if they wanted the log to never
rotate/purge.

> In any case, if the behavior IS changed, there should definitely be a
> post_upgrade message and a news item about it. Not everyone follows
> the mailing lists, and they should still be alerted when previous
> behavior is changed.

Definitely agreed.

DR