[arch-general] running sybase under arch linux

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Mon Aug 11 12:55:12 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I've got a big problem I hope someone can help with.

I've been a huge fan and user of Arch since early 2004. I really like
it and it works great for me. I have several production servers also
running it, with no problem whatsoever.

However, I have one ancient server running a creaky version of Red Hat
Linux that I would love to replace, but can't.

This is running Sybase 11.0.3.3, and I simply can't get it working on
my replacement server. First of all, for those who are shaking their
heads, this is a legacy server dating to 1998. Second, I had nothing
to do with the original design. Third, I hate Sybase. Even though a
free version has been available for years, it is absolutely hostile to
Linux in general. It needs a very specific configuration or it simply
won't run. And good luck figuring that out, unless you use one of
their supported configurations.

My new server is running Arch x86_64. I have no choice about this. I
have the old 11.0.3.3 RPMs and extracted them to /opt/sybase. I
installed the following packages:

local/libstdc++5 3.3.6-2
local/emul32-compat 1.0-3
local/lib-compat 1.4.1-1

No matter what I try though, I get segfaults when trying to run Sybase.

Has anyone had any success getting ANY version of Sybase running on
Arch? Please let me know if you have, or if you have any suggestions
at all!

VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott