[arch-general] running sybase under arch linux

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Mon Aug 11 13:11:18 EDT 2008

Scott Weisman wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've got a big problem I hope someone can help with.
>
> I've been a huge fan and user of Arch since early 2004. I really like
> it and it works great for me. I have several production servers also
> running it, with no problem whatsoever.
>
> However, I have one ancient server running a creaky version of Red Hat
> Linux that I would love to replace, but can't.
>
> This is running Sybase 11.0.3.3, and I simply can't get it working on
> my replacement server. First of all, for those who are shaking their
> heads, this is a legacy server dating to 1998. Second, I had nothing
> to do with the original design. Third, I hate Sybase. Even though a
> free version has been available for years, it is absolutely hostile to
> Linux in general. It needs a very specific configuration or it simply
> won't run. And good luck figuring that out, unless you use one of
> their supported configurations.
>
> My new server is running Arch x86_64. I have no choice about this. I
> have the old 11.0.3.3 RPMs and extracted them to /opt/sybase. I
> installed the following packages:
>
> local/libstdc++5 3.3.6-2
> local/emul32-compat 1.0-3
> local/lib-compat 1.4.1-1
>
> No matter what I try though, I get segfaults when trying to run Sybase.
>
> Has anyone had any success getting ANY version of Sybase running on
> Arch? Please let me know if you have, or if you have any suggestions
> at all!
>
> VERY much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

You could try copying that whole red hat installation to somewhere else, chroot to it and run programs from there. But pretty good chance that won't work because arch's GCC, kernel, etc... is too new to support that old stuff.

An other option would be to do a fresh redhat 9 install or copy the existing redhat installation to somewhere on the new server, and run the install in a virtual machine using qemu, vmware or <insert your favorite virtualization software>. Make sure you use hardware VT (qemu can make use of the kernel's KVM layer - ideal!).

My choice would be copy the entire redhat install and run it in a virtual machine with qemu-kvm.

Glenn