[arch-general] Eclipse configuration ignored after upgrade

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Aug 21 16:57:39 EDT 2008

Looks like the latest upgrade to Eclipse (3.4-2 -> 3.4-3) did something
odd:  after the upgrade, Eclipse started ignoring my old configuration
(in ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.4.0_1473617060) and started using
a new one it created (in ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.4.0_1543616141).

With older versions of Eclipse I might not have cared.  But with the new
3.4 version, which now uses the new P2 plugin system - which stores all
your installed plugins into the configuration directory, instead of a
directory of your choosing - the net result was that all my plugins were
suddenly no longer installed after the upgrade.

Anyone know why it decided to insist on a new config directory?  Could
it be because the Eclipse executable was moved from /opt/eclipse to
/usr/share/eclipse?  If that's the case then hopefully this won't be an
issue in the future.  I hope so, as it'd be a pain to have to deal with
this on every minor and major upgrade to the package.  Granted the
workaround is pretty easy (copy the contents of the old config dir to
the new one), but it's still a pain.

Thanks,

DR