[arch-general] Integrity Check

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:36:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Eric Belanger
<belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Packages in extra shouldn't makedepends or depends on packages from
> community. Xmms is an exception. The person who initially moved it to
> community didn't checked if it was required by other packages in extra. As I
> maintain xmms in community and am a dev, we decided not to bother moving
> xmms back in extra. Plus, it is only required as a makedepends.  At least,
> that's the current state of things.

Then we could "suggest" official maintainers to install packages that
are needed for full feature with a comment inside build(). Otherwise
offending packages should be documented somewhere, because there's no
hint anywhere that such problems exist.

The only "automagic" alternative I see is the addition of a crossdeps
field in PKGBUILDs. What could it do? A lot of things... notify the
user at installation time. Notify the maintainer at compile time.
Check if the packager has a "buildcrossdeps" option set in
makepkg.conf and, if he does, treat them like makedepends.
But I don't know. It is a bit overkill for our situation, but other
pacman-based distros that have a different repo structure could make
great use of it.

Corrado