[arch-general] Integrity Check

Fri Aug 29 11:55:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, bardo wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just read one comment from Thomas :
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6841#comment32155
>>
>> Is it fine for core package to have makedepends in extra?
>> What about extra and community (the xmms makedepends above)?
>> The second would mean core and extra repos can't be checked properly
>> on their own..
>
> Another related BR is http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10930, which
> Roman closed this morning.
>
> So this in fact means that official repos are hierarchical: core ->
> extra -> community. I have to make clear I have no problems with it, I
> just want a confirmation. As far as I knew the difference between
> extra and community (excluding the obvious package popularity) was
> only in the maintainers. If this is true, then there's no problem for
> cross dependencies between extra and community, but it seems I was
> wrong.
>
> My opinion is that core should be completely independent from the
> rest. Extra and community, au contraire, shouldn't have this
> constraint., they are not meant to be a basic package set. I don't
> l'ike cross dependencies, they force a *user* to enable a different
> repo, but I think cross makedepends are fine, since they only affect
> packagers.
> See the BR I linked above... pulseaudio's users won't be able to use
> native audacious support because the packager didn't have it
> installed. It is our duty to provide as many features as possible (as
> long as they're included in the vanilla package), and pulseaudio
> defaults as enabled in audacious, but isn't built in our package.
> That's why I think makedepends are fine, otherwise some TU's work will
> look like it's broken while it's not.
>
> Corrado

Packages in extra shouldn't makedepends or depends on packages from
community. Xmms is an exception. The person who initially moved it to
community didn't checked if it was required by other packages in extra. As
I maintain xmms in community and am a dev, we decided not to bother moving
xmms back in extra. Plus, it is only required as a makedepends.  At least,
that's the current state of things.

believed to be clean.