[arch-general] Integrity Check

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:14:23 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just read one comment from Thomas :
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6841#comment32155
>
> Is it fine for core package to have makedepends in extra?
> What about extra and community (the xmms makedepends above)?
> The second would mean core and extra repos can't be checked properly
> on their own..

Another related BR is http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10930, which
Roman closed this morning.

So this in fact means that official repos are hierarchical: core ->
extra -> community. I have to make clear I have no problems with it, I
just want a confirmation. As far as I knew the difference between
extra and community (excluding the obvious package popularity) was
only in the maintainers. If this is true, then there's no problem for
cross dependencies between extra and community, but it seems I was
wrong.

My opinion is that core should be completely independent from the
rest. Extra and community, au contraire, shouldn't have this
constraint., they are not meant to be a basic package set. I don't
l'ike cross dependencies, they force a *user* to enable a different
repo, but I think cross makedepends are fine, since they only affect
packagers.
See the BR I linked above... pulseaudio's users won't be able to use
native audacious support because the packager didn't have it
installed. It is our duty to provide as many features as possible (as
long as they're included in the vanilla package), and pulseaudio
defaults as enabled in audacious, but isn't built in our package.
That's why I think makedepends are fine, otherwise some TU's work will
look like it's broken while it's not.

Corrado