[arch-general] Someone shoot sergej

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 1 06:36:46 EST 2008

Sergej Pupykin wrote:

>> Disk space is not an issue at this moment, as we have expanded our disk
>> capacity quite a bit a few weeks ago.
>> I think getting architecture-independent packages up and running gives
>> us much more space than deleting one or two packages.
>
> As I understand mirror traffic and disk space not an issue too.
>
> Then why we are talking about moving packages from community instead
> of trying to improve their quality?

To summarize the TU meetings (logs have been posted...), it is about
replacing very low usage/unused packages in [community] with those with
higher usage in unsupported.  I.e. optimizing our resource usage.

People with opinions on this should be discussing this in the dedicated
thread(s) on aur-general so the discussion is easier to follow.  This
thread is too much of a direct attack on one individual to be
productive.  Go through all the packages with low vote on AUR and low
usage from pkgstats and you will find that Sergej has around as many
packages as would be expected given how many he maintains.  Has anyone
manually checked what proportion of his low vote packages are not
dependencies for other packages?  This need to be dealt with on a whole
group basis, not an individual basis.

Allan