[arch-general] x hotplugging probs

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Mon Dec 1 13:25:38 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Johannes Held schrieb:
>> The X server runs as root, so it should be capable of loading evdev
>> (although I think udev should autoload it).

>>> That's no noise!
>>> That could be my solution too. Atm, I disabled the automatic search via
>>> ServerFlags - just three seconds before I went mad.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I try it - but I think this hotplugging isn't that important for a
>>> desktop pc like mine.
>> I don't know for whom it would be important at all! I have a laptop, and I
>> never needed any input hotplugging:
>>
>> 1) With the kbd driver, all keyboards are picked up automatically. Okay,
>> they all have the same layout, but can you assign different layouts with
>> input hotplugging (if so, it might actually be useful).
>> 2) I configured my touchpad with the synaptics driver.
>> 3) For everything else, I have this generic mouse section:
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>        Driver      "mouse"
>>        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
>>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>> EndSection
>> This picks up all my USB or bluetooth mice automatically when I connect them
>> (maybe ExplorerPS/2 is better so it will pick up extra buttons on mice that
>> have them). If you have serial or PS/2 mice, then hotplugging is not for you
>> anyway.
>>
>> If anyone has a setup that he needed input hotplugging for, I'd be very
>> interested to hear, because I cannot think of one.
>
> Hah, thanks Thomas, I didn't want to be the one to say it. My system
> has worked fine with "hotplugging" for the past 5 years or so. I
> always wondered what sort of crazy esoteric systems needed this stuff
> such that editing some confusing XML files was a good tradeoff

I agree with this as well. But I also understand the logic the X dev team is trying to follow. On paper, the idea sounds nice. I reverted to hardcoded devices in xorg.conf because I don't run HAL on my desktop and on my laptop, the synaptics touchpad doesn't support tapping anymore. When I apply the synaptics example in the forum (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=456689#p456689) the tapping is not sensitive enough (while the Xorg default is just perfect for me).

Last but not least the wiki is indeed pretty vague, missing practical examples and linking to the forum (inherently an unreliable source).

Glenn