[arch-general] x hotplugging probs

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 17:22:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> If anyone has a setup that he needed input hotplugging for, I'd be very
>> interested to hear, because I cannot think of one.
>
> Hah, thanks Thomas, I didn't want to be the one to say it. My system
> has worked fine with "hotplugging" for the past 5 years or so. I
> always wondered what sort of crazy esoteric systems needed this stuff
> such that editing some confusing XML files was a good tradeoff

I'll speak up.

I have a Logitech USB mouse that I use on my main machine. I have no
other pointing devices, but this mouse does happen to have extra
buttons that don't work by default except when configuring evdev to
use the *exact* USB device it is assigned to in /dev; I can't use the
/dev/mouse thingy or whatever for it.

If I unplug this mouse to go use it on my laptop, and then come back
to my desktop and plug it in, it fails to work at all because I can't
use the /dev/mouse device and the USB device number assignment
changes, even if I plug it into the exact same port. So input
hotplugging is perfect for me, and I didn't have to tweak a single
file to get it to work (other than remove crud from my xorg.conf which
is now much more manageable).

-Dan