[arch-general] Status of swt and azureus/vuze

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Fri Dec 5 23:32:05 EST 2008

Hello all,

this has been brought on a couple of times before but never resolved.
The situation is to my knowledge as follows:

(1) There is an azureus package in [extra]. It is very much outdated (I
think it hasn't been really updated for about at least a year) and it
has been orphaned for most of the time. (I'm not sure if it even works
anymore but perhaps it does.) The only nice thing about is package is
that it is built from Azureus sources instead of using the precompiled
Azureus binaries provided by upstream (although it is maybe questionable
whether or not this is an advantage or how big).

(2) There is a swt package in [extra], version 3.3.2. It has been
flagged out of date (I may have done that myself, I'm not sure) for some
time now, version 3.4 has been released in June, almost half a year ago.
This package, too, is built from sources instead of provided binaries.
The only package depending on swt is the above mentioned azureus.

(3) There is a vuze package in unsupported (vuze is the new name of
azureus for those who aren't familiar). It is up-to-date, only it is not
built from sources. It just more or less takes the provided binaries and
uncompress them into /opt/vuze. This package has its own version of SWT
bundled in, I've tried at least to save some disk space by removing
bundled swt.jar and using the one from [extra], unfortunately vuze then
wouldn't start. I'm not sure where the error lies, I suspect it has
something to do with the way swt in [extra] is built but I may be wrong
(I can provide more details, the error message for example, if anyone's
interested).

My personal conclusion: not that many users really use vuze, because I
seem to be the only one complaining here all the time (I think this is
at least the third time I'm opening this). :-) (On the other hand vuze
in unsupported has almost 50 votes, so probably users use this version
instead of the outdated version in [extra].) Also, devs probably don't
want to maintain vuze or swt, I'm not blaming them at all (there has
been an e-mail describing how tricky it is to compile it from sources),
and when there's no one to use it, what's the point anyway?

I think one of two things should happen.
(a) Someone (ideally just one person) - a dev I mean - will adopt
azureus again, rename it to vuze and update it to the latest version,
alongside with swt. Then the vuze package in unsupported can be deleted.
(b) Both azureus and swt will be dropped from extra. Then the vuze in
unsupported will become more or less "official" (or at least the only
available version in ArchLinux world) and perhaps a TU can then move it
to [community] if they feel like maintaining it. It might also be
possible to create a swt package in unsupported and let vuze depend on
it (because perhaps there are more applications out there that could
depend on swt) - if one sticks to the precompiled binaries, it's not
that hard to maintain it.

Any ideas or solutions? Should I for example file a bug report instead?

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera