[arch-general] x264, mplayer, ffmpeg rebuild?

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Sun Dec 28 18:23:14 EST 2008

Le Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:09:23 +0100,
Markus Heuser <mheuser at mi.fu-berlin.de> a écrit :

> Well, I'm not to familiar with the development procedures of mplayer but what
> I mean by stable is "stable enough to be packaged" ;)

To me, the only way to use an up-to-date mplayer is to compile it yourself on your machine (by using one of the AUR packages).

Making a binary mplayer package is very difficult and the result can't be perfect for everybody because you have to make choices about what will be enabled in it (and add deps) and what will not (but some users might want it). It's the prototype of the package that should stay source-based if possible.

--
catwell