[arch-general] x264, mplayer, ffmpeg rebuild?

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 18:34:49 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell at archlinux.us>wrote:

> To me, the only way to use an up-to-date mplayer is to compile it yourself
> on your machine (by using one of the AUR packages).
>
> Making a binary mplayer package is very difficult and the result can't be
> perfect for everybody because you have to make choices about what will be
> enabled in it (and add deps) and what will not (but some users might want
> it). It's the prototype of the package that should stay source-based if
> possible.

That may be so, but there are binary packages available. And while that is
the case, they should be updated every so often. I mean, ffmpeg is almost 6
months old and it's tied to revision 14236 - the current revision is 16380!
We are 2000 commits behind, it's astounding.

Not to mention I recently ran up into a bug where ffmpeg causes mpd to
crash, and it's because the package is so out-dated. And there are other bug
reports as well, dealing with other crashes and broken ogg support:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=ffmpeg&project=1

So the question remains, will these packages be updated anytime soon?

Back to your point about it being difficult to package - while I realize
there are resource implications to this suggestion, I think the goal would
be to have a couple different binary packages available to hit the most
common uses, like is done with some other packages. I wouldn't throw up my
hands and resort to compiling from source. Any idea how long it takes to
compile mplayer on a p3? Trust me, it's not fun.

Scott