[arch-general] Jacman. Problem installing packages (don't panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Feb 6 13:11:39 EST 2008

Jacman hasn't worked properly, as regards installing packages since I
installed don't panic. Saying that I have been able to install the odd single
package, that has no deps, but as of today, even installing single packages
(alsaplayer as an example) fails.

Jacman opens ok, and I click on "Install Packages", and that's ok, but when I
select a package to install, and click on "Install", a window, like a
terminal (CLI) (dialog window) opens. As soon as this window opens, the CPU
hits 100%. The output in this console says:
resolving dependencies
looking for inter-conflicts
and in red
proceed with installation? [Y/n]

The bottom of the console window has "Done", "Yes", and "No" boxes, but none
are highlighted. As I've said, on the odd occasion I have been able to
install a single package, and in this case the Yes, and No boxes have been
highlighted, and the Done box is highlighted when the package is installed.

Before I post a bug report for Jacman, has anyone any suggestions?

Nigel.