[arch-general] problem with Firefox and Opera

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Feb 9 17:40:32 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 22:28 +0200, Scott Weisman wrote:
> Hello JaDa,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I did try your suggestion, but it didn't work.
> The problem is not Firefox or Opera (note that BOTH are affected, and
> I did uninstall and reinstall Opera as well, along with deleting all
> the detrius before reinstalling). It has something to do with the
> Shared Memory extension under X.
>
> I forgot to mention that I have an Intel 965 motherboard with
> integrated graphics. I think the problem might be specific to this
> chip set, but if anyone has a solution, I would appreciate hearing
> from them!

xf86-video-intel 2.2.0 uses EXA by default, which is complete crap right
now (I don't know why they turned it on by default, guess it's to get
better testing and more bugreports). Add this to the section of your
videocard to switch back to XAA:

Option	"AccelMethod" "XAA"

and you shouldn't have trouble anymore. Note that there's a new
xf86-video-intel driver available upstream, which is a 2.2.1 prerelease
with quite some bugfixes. I'll get to that one shortly.