[arch-general] Concurrent java environments

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Sat Feb 23 22:21:39 EST 2008

Hello,

I was wondering - why jre/jdk packages conflict with java-gcj-compat?
Unless I missed something there are no file conflicts (since jre and
jdk are in /opt) and I think the rest (switching between the
environments when necessary) could be done be (re)setting of
environment variables (such as $PATH and $JAVA_HOME). Or am I
overlooking something?

Being a java developer (at least from time to time) I am in need of Sun
implementation (actually even of version 6), on the other hand on
x86_64 the webplugin from gcc-gcj in combination with java-gcj-compat is
the only way to run some applets (e. g. those that need security
certificates; for other applets only gcc-gcj might be enough).

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera