[arch-general] Concurrent java environments

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Sun Feb 24 05:59:40 EST 2008

Hi,

> You could install gcc-gcj and symlink the web plugin in the right
> directory without installing java-gcj-compat.

Yes. But sadly, as I was saying, that won't work for applets using
certificates because they would be looking for files
like /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre/lib/security/cacerts and
those (actually I'm not sure if this is the only such a file or if
there are more) are a part of java-gcj-compat. So because of this one
may really need java-gcj-compat.

> The reason why we have
> it conflicting is because we want to have only one complete java
> solution installed on a system.

OK and the reason for this is which? :-) Shouldn't this be up to the
user? Does it have some real drawbacks to have more than one java
installed? I on the other hand can imagine that someone is developing
java applications and wants to test it against gcj, Sun's java, IBM's
java and perhaps even some others - why should it be a problem unless
there are some technical difficulties in setting up the environments?

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera