[arch-general] Tk707. Problems getting sounds out of it (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Feb 27 11:14:45 EST 2008

Looking for available audio apps, I installed tk707. There were some problems
when starting it from the CLI (couldn't find shared libraries) as below.

[djmons at myhost ~]$ tk707
/usr/bin/tk707bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot
[djmons at myhost ~]$ tk707bin
tk707bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot open
[djmons at myhost ~]$ su
Password:
\[root at myhost djmons]# ln -s /usr/lib/libtk8.5.so /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so
[root at myhost djmons]# exit
exit
[djmons at myhost ~]$ tk707
/usr/bin/tk707bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot
[djmons at myhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root at myhost djmons]# ldconfig
[root at myhost djmons]# tk707
/usr/bin/tk707bin: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot
[root at myhost djmons]# ln -s /usr/lib/libtcl8.5.so /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so
[root at myhost djmons]# exit

As you can see, I created a couple of symlinks, and then starting tk707 again,
opened the ports selection window. So far so good.

I've got an Audigy2 soundblaster on this machine, and need to load a soundfont
to use the hardware synth. I looked for the awesfx package, and jacman shows
version 0.5.0d-2 available from the community repo, but installing it with
jacman failed (couldn't find the package). I also tried pacman -S awesfx, but
again the package couldn't be found.

The community repo is uncommented in /etc/pacman.conf, and pacman -Sy shows it
on the list of updated databases.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the awesfx package?

I could use TiMidity to get sounds out of tk707, or Qsynth (If it's
available), but being able to load the soundfont for my card is preferable.

Thanks for any help, suggestions.

Nigel.