[arch-general] makepkg running as root

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Tue Jan 22 13:05:41 EST 2008

On Dienstag, 22. Januar 2008 05:30 richard terry wrote:

Only for the stats: This warning is a good idea because that you don't need to
be root is one of the big advantages.

> I tried to compile it as myself, and it crashed at the end of the build,
> (sorry didn't keep messages), saying something about not being able to write
> to some directory or other (ok, so I'm not a geek!!!). When I re-built it as
> root it worked fine.

Okay, i know that it is now too late but before running makepkg as root i
would prefer to see what wants to write in which directory. At example i do
this which helps me in the most cases:

# makepkg 2>&1 | tee build.log
# less build.log

And with foreign packages and not so much experience a '|| return 1' after
each command plus optional a 'return 1' before the last '}' to test it before
making the package could helps you getting more and more familiar with it.
But this all be only my 2c.

Concrete to your PKGBUILD: It looks harmless but it is a developer snapshot so
the error could be inside of what you can't control with your PKGBUILD.

See you, Attila