[arch-general] Searching reference server for mirror checking

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Mon Jan 28 11:43:18 EST 2008

On 1/28/08, Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer at web.de> wrote:
> Hello!
> * eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net> schrieb am [28.01.08 17:19]:
> >
> > I think it would be a very nice thing to have someone run
> > periodically, and maybe send reports to the dev team
>
> I think we on archlinux.de could do this. I'll talk with Pierre next
> time about that.
>
> Another question , i assume that that you could say "something about
> mirroring":
> I also talked with Pierre about some more mirrors for germany. I have a
> list with some potential candidates. Our question is: what is the right
> way to get them as ArchLinux mirrors? We could contact their ftpmaster,
> but when they say: yes, we've waited for you ;-) whom must i/we contact
> on archlinux.org for rsync and so far?

The best course of action is probably to:

1) Contact the mirror admin, requesting mirroring.
2a) If they want to mirror from the arch main server: Open a bug
ticket. This way the pacman packager, as well as the arch server
admin, can both have a reference point for addition of the new mirror.
Include relevant text, contact information, etc in the bug ticket.
2b) Alternately, some of the servers that already mirror have rsync
access, and new mirrors could be "teir2" by syncing off of them. In
such cases, make sure to qualify in the bug ticket such information,
as well as any additional relevant text, contact information, etc.

> Is there a "FAQ" or some document anywhere?

Not yet.