[arch-general] Strange stuff in kernel26-2.6.24-2

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Mon Jan 28 16:16:13 EST 2008

On Montag, 28. Januar 2008 13:59 Xavier wrote:

At first the good thing: Extra for you i shutdown my pc without a problem
after running 2.6.24 for about 2-3 hours during doing normal things as
reading blogs, surfing and running makepkg with some small packages.

> It usually crashes here too when I shutdown or reboot it after using
> it for a while.

I have had the same problems. Than I try a copy of the whole from testing,
make my own package and eliminate a lot of the experimental features. The top
candidate from my view is EDAC which i put totaly off. There is a more
conservative config for a root server in the web:

http://www.hostblogger.de/blog/archives/2752-Kernel-2.6.24.html

Not realy perfect for a 1:1 copy because it is for a root server but a good
example because in this some things been active which been not in the ARCH
config. Some examples:

CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_FAIR_USER_SCHED=y

Sorry, that i can't exactly say what makes it better because i throw a lot
away (all virtualization, ISDN, TV, all DEBUG=y with the exception of
CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG and so on) and reactivate other things. It was more an
experimental try&error game of mine with the motto if it now won't works than
i will give it up.-) That's why i don't open a bug report but from my view
there is hope to eliminate this problem.

Just for the stats: I have a core2duo (MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition) with
2GB, IDE Burner and SATA disk. I optimized my config for core2 but i don't
think this is the solution.

See you, Attila