[arch-general] should gawk be in group base-devel?

Aaron Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Tue Jun 3 23:07:35 EDT 2008

>>> It is often quoted that, for package building purposes, it is assumed a user
>>> has packages in group base-devel installed.
>>
>> Ideally, the user should have BOTH base and base-devel installed for
>> package building.
>
> +1.
> When user omits any package from base - it's on his/her own risk,
> it is assumed that base is installed on every system,
> so packages from base are not mentioned in (make)depends
> (ok, some cases exists, but they are exceptions from the rule, and
> should had not exist).

I'd say -1 from me...we have discussed this issue before
(http://archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2007-July/005541.html) and
never really reached a good consensus.  I'd still argue that people
out there do customize their systems, it eliminates ambiguity, if base
packages happen to change it will still work, why assume things when
the package manager is there to ensure dependencies are present, etc.
I think there are a lot of good reasons to list them in the depends
array, and only the risk of some things becoming somewhat boilerplate
as a downside.  Last time I think someone mentioned bringing it up
with the devs to see what they say...maybe that's a good idea?

--
Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer