[arch-general] Can we use the "Firefox" name?

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:46:16 EDT 2008

There is a thing that I have never understood: we ship the Firefox
package not branded, for the well known issues with the licensing of the
artwork, and that's fine; but are we sure we can name that package
"firefox" ? If you ask it to me, I think we can not:

Mike Connor (a Mozilla guy :) said here [1]:
"Firefox (the name) is equally protected and controlled by the same
trademark policy and legal requirements as the Firefox logo.  You're
free to use any other name for the browser bits, but calling the browser
Firefox requires the same approvals as are required for using the logo
and other artwork.
[...]
If you are going to use the Firefox name, you must also use the rest of the
branding."

Mozilla may say that we are "lying" to users, because the name is named
firefox, but it doesn't contain Firefox.

Discuss!

P.S.
I didn't filed a bug report yet because I want to discuss this here.

P.P.S
Please don't hate me.

Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB