[arch-general] Problem with Transient resolver failure with pacman (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Jun 18 14:23:39 EDT 2008

I have Archlinux running on one machine with no problems, but the install was
done a while back. I've just installed it on a new machine that I've built,
but am having problems running pacman -Sy.

The network setup is ok. I use static IP addresses, and everything is
correctly set. /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver set, and the
gateway 192.168.0.1 in /etc/rc.conf is active by removing the "!".

Running pacman -Sy though is constantly giving me a "Transient resolver
failure" . Pacman -Sy is trying every mirror on the planet, and must have
worked it's way through at least 30 up to now.

There must be some setting that I havn't got right.

Any suggestions would be most definately gratefully received.

Nigel.