[arch-general] Problem starting vsftpd service. (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Jun 19 10:38:08 EDT 2008

On the new instance of Archlinux, that I've installed on my new machine, I
wanted to avoid downloading all the updates again on my dialup connection, so
thought I'd just FTP the pkg directory from the first install to the new
install. For some reason I cannot start the vsftp daemon, just giving me a
fail. The capability module is in the modules section of /etc/rc.conf, as is
vsftpd in the daemons section.

I looked on my first install of Don't Panic, and see the same thing there, and
do remember that I had problems with vsftpd, but worked around it by starting
gftp in Archlinux, and FTP'ing from another machine FC2, that did have the
daemon running.

I've worked around it by using fish in KDE's Konqueror on the first install,
and have successfully moved the files over to the new install, but would like
to find out why vsftpd won't start, and how I can fix it.

Thanks for any help.

Nigel.