[arch-general] Out dated packages in extra - What to do ?

Mathieu Clabaut mathieu.clabaut at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 05:37:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Emmanuel Benisty <benisty.e at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Mathieu Clabaut
> <mathieu.clabaut at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  what is the policy for extra out-of-date packages.
> >  I'm thinking about eclipse and antlr....
> >  The first one gave birth to its AUR up to date counterpart :
> eclipse-bin,
> >  and I've got an antlr3 package at hand, but I do not want to make it in
> AUR
> > without knowing if it is good practice.
> >
> >  Those package are flagged as out-of-date.
> >  The bts policy is to not open bug for such a request, so as a last
> resort,
> > I send this mail...
> >
> >  There was already some discussion about this problem in the end of 2007;
> > see http://readlist.com/lists/archlinux.org/arch/1/6979.html
> >
> >  Thank you for any tip.
> >
> >  PS. I've seen at least one user leaving arch because of such out-dated
> > packages.... (In french : http://linuxfr.org/~chicha/26802.html<http://linuxfr.org/%7Echicha/26802.html>
> )
> >
> > -mathieu
>
> please check http://archlinux.org/news/397/

Do you mean that those package are orphan ?
If so, how can we know the oprhaness status of an extra package ?
How can we know if the package is out of date due to some technical problems
(but that someone is actively working on it), or if it is out of date and
nobody cares about it....

I'd dare to take care of some packages (antlr for example), but I do not
fill at least the "Enough free time" requirement of the news 397.

And finally, would it be a good thing for me to create an antlr3 packages (a
bit like the eclipse-bin package with respect to the eclipse extra package)
?

-mathieu