[arch-general] Package file lists?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 13:41:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Anybody?  Beuller?  Beuller?  :-)
>>
>> We changed the way the backend worked and parsed information. Due to
>> this, it made producing file lists very time consuming. That was the
>> only downside for all the many many upsides of changing it that way.
>>
>> We could still save this data, especially considering Pierre wrote a
>> script to generate file lists in the repos themselves[1] but we
>> haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>> 1: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/extra/os/i686/extra.files.tar.gz
>
> It'd be nice to have, though not crucial.  It's helpful to be able to see
> the contents of a package without installing it.

Yeah, you may want to post a bug to the tracker, and we can give it
off to Dusty, as he's taken over the Django work.

If you feel like being sassy and patching some python, the reporead.py
script (in the archweb_dev git repo) is the script which parses the
db.tar.gz file and inserts things into the DB. It's not that much of a
stretch to have this parse the new files.tar.gz files as well and
insert THAT info, though I do not know if the DB still contains the
tables for package contents.