[arch-general] Kernel ext2 driver

Peter Feuerer peter.feuerer at linuX-gamers.net
Sat Mar 1 13:43:44 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 20:28 +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2008/3/1, Peter Feuerer <peter.feuerer at linux-gamers.net>:
> > Hi list,
> >
> >  just wanted to ask, why ext2 isn't built directly into the kernel
> >  anymore? Is there any special reason?
> >  I would prefer to have ext2 built in again, because I'm dealing a lot
> >  with special configurations of archlinux, like thinclient installations
> >  where the whole image is running in an ext2 formated ramdisk and so on.
> >  Currently I'm building the complete kernel everytime I need to do an
> >  upgrade. But I think the ext2 driver isn't such a big ballast for
> >  standard systems, so you might want to do me a favour and set it as a
> >  built in driver of the standard kernel again. Would save me a lot of
> >  compile time.
> >

> I don't understand where the problem is.
> You can just add it to initcpio image.

I don't use the arch initcpio generated initramfs. I create a standalone
"old" initrd containing the complete root filesystem of the arch
installation myself. And due to the fact that the initrd is using ext2
as filesystem the kernel can't read it unless i compile ext2 in.

--peter