[arch-general] Qsynth crashes when clicking on buttons (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Mar 6 13:29:49 EST 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 13:46, charly wrote:
> If it works with qt-mod and not arch-provided qt, let us know cause maybe
> there's a problem with our binary

Hi Charly. Looked at the kde-mod site, but as you have do remove all the
current KDE packages, before installing kde-mod, I passed on that option,
especially as Archlinux is working just fine apart from Qsynth, and a litle
problem with Jacman, which I believe is being worked on.

If I had another instance of Archlinux installed (and I'm sure I could do
that, as I've several ancient distros on my drives), I'd be happy to try
ked-mod, but that will have to wait for another day.

Anyway. Back to the Qsynth problem.

I thought I'd try installing the source file for Qsynth from sourceforge.net.
Built, and installed it in /usr/local, but with the same results. Clicking on
anything in Qsynth caused it to crash.

Ok. Now I su to root (which I don't like doing, unless some permissions
problem appears to be causing the problem) , and now Qsynth(with jack already
started) complains that it can't connect to jack. Anyway Qsynth's GUI doesn't
crash when I click on the settings button, and I change the audio to Alsa,
then restart Qsynth. Then make the connection in Qjackctl from my midi
keyboard to fluidsynth, and can play some notes (although they are a bit
stuttery). So far so good, and Qsynth is sort of working without crashing,
but only as root.

Going back to the sourceforge site where I got the Qsynth tarball from, it
mentions that Qsynth's settings are kept in ~/.config. Looking at that file,
it's padlocked, and only accessable as root. It contained 2 directories,
gtk-2.0, and mcbc.org, and one file Trolltech.conf. The mcbc.org directory
contains the Qsynth.conf file.

Going for it, I change the ownership of this directory to User: djmons, and
Group: djmons.

Now I open Qjackctl, start jack, and open Qsynth, and Qsynth works like
clockwork, and my keyboard plays the sounds with no stuttering, as they had
when Qsynth was started as root.

I don't think this is a problem with Qsynth, but more to do with which program
creates the .config directory in the /home/user directory, and makes it only
accessable as root.

Incidentally ~/.config has the mcbc.org directory, and the Trolltech.conf file
now accessable by the user, but the gtk-2.0 directory is still padlocked
( only accessable as root)

Just a bit of info from trying to resolve a problem.

Nigel.