[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ISO 2008.03 release status update

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Mar 12 16:31:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 22:03 +0200, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> May i add xorg-server to the above packages too? I know its not part
> of
> core, let alone base, but its a very important package in extra.
> Current xorg-server in testing comes with HAL enabled. Reference:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9563
> Is that gonna be the default now? Users probably havent reported back
> on
> this, but many had problems with it. On the other hand others didnt.
> Its already a month in testing, but no decision has been made up yet.
> Should this be reviewed later?
> What do devs think about this change?

xorg-server is an extra package, not core, so it doesn't ship with the
release.
As for the HAL-enabled version of xorg-server: we will revert it. To
make up a nice summary:
1. The dbus code is shit
2. Configuration of keyboard maps is shit
3. Suspend/resume is shit (probably related to 1.)
4. XInput itself is in very bad state already

Point 1 can be triggered by /etc/rc.d/dbus restart.
Point 2 can be triggered by wanting something else than a US keymap,
combined with some nice non-standard variant
Point 3 has been reported in combination with synaptics, but I haven't
investigated on it further because I know 1 and 2 are valid.
Point 4 was told to me at FOSDEM by Daniel Stone, the only maintainer I
know that has the guts to mess with code that nobody wants to get his
hands dirty on.