[arch-general] initscripts-splash

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 08:45:34 EDT 2008

2008/3/13, dongiovanni at archlinux.de <dongiovanni at archlinux.de>:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:58 PM,  <dongiovanni at archlinux.de> wrote:
>  >> Hallo,
>  >>
>  >>  Currently I'm maintaining splashy and fbsplash. Some time ago there was
>  >> a
>  >>  discussion of integration of the splash hooks in the initscripts in
>  >>  [core].
>  >>  Is there something planed? It would reduce problems for some less
>  >>  experienced users.
>  >
>  > Actually, anyone can do it and you don't even need to overwrite the
>  > initscripts package. The initscripts in testing will load functions
>  > from /etc/rc.d/functions.d/*. Due to the way shell scripts work, if I
>  > redefine a function, it overwrites it.
>  >
>  > This way, one can simply create a functions.d/ file that overrides the
>  > standard stat_* functions to call splash related functions. No need to
>  > additions to the initscripts package, it's all there for ya.
>  >
>  >

> I must have missed that ;) Thanks... I hope I will get a working solution
>  on that soon!

Actually, I was planning to steal fbsplash and splashy and put them in
community ;-)
but didn't have much time recently to actually do this. :-(
In addition I want to do a couple of small changes to initscripts that
will not affect non-splashed systems at all, but will just provide
more places to hook something via functions.d

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)