[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Wed Mar 26 06:28:58 EDT 2008

Wednesday 26 March 2008, Simo Leone wrote:
 | I'd like to begin testing some preliminary work with the arch
 | livecd system. You can find a livecd rigged up to work as an ftp
 | installer at:
 | http://dev.archlinux.org/~simo/archiso_tests/arch-ftp-live-1206519
 |468.iso

i'll give it a try in qemu on x86_64

 | This ISO consists of our current installer scripts and a
 | functioning arch livecd containing most of the base package set.
 | It uses the grub boot loader, which is likely to be changed to
 | isolinux in the near future. At this point, it's an i686-only
 | thing, but an x86_64 version will be coming soon.
 |
 | If you've got some time to kill, please give the iso a whirl.
 | You'll find the installer and its documentation in its usual home
 | at /arch/ on the livecd system. It'd be nice to have this tested
 | on a large variety of systems if possible.

i have a no-optical-drive laptop (non-macs are not able to boot from
firewire cdroms) and usually i prepare a image to put on a
memory-stick to boot from [1]. since this setting (no cdrom) are
getting more common and having a live-linux-system on a usb-key is
getting interesting i'm wondering if we should provide also a
partition image[2] for such use?

- D

[1] : as described here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_Thinkpad_x61t_SXGA+#No_optical_drive_installation

[2] :  partition image that can be directly written to a device e.g.
with dd

--
                  <º)))><